When Jack was a new baby he cried his little face off. Since I was allergic to milk and my mom was allergic to milk it was a no brainier to me that he was allergic to milk. I would put him on soy formula and wait the magic "you'll see a new baby in 3 days or it's not the problem" no new baby in 3 days. Moved on to many different formulas and never saw a new baby. SO....I finally stopped switching the poor kid around and accepted he was just colicky. Then when he was about 6 months old he developed both eczema and asthma. All while crying his sweet little face off. By the time he was 3 he seemed to have out grown the asthma and crying. But it turned in to busy little boy. VERY BUSY. Couldn't sit still, can't keep his hands to him self, loud, and hyper. He was fine through preschool and the first semester of kindergarten. But then we were constantly struggling with his hyper, impulsive, busy little boy ways. He has struggled with it all this year too. I have known deep down that he is allergic to dairy for years, but I didn't want to take him off dairy because I just wanted him to be a normal kid. Last year I started to really consider it when I learned that a dairy allergy can cause behavioral issues similar to ADHA. But I still wasn't convinced. After another year of issues I decided to talk to the doctor. But we had to see the PA. Who was OVER EAGER to hand out a prescrip for ADHD meds. After thinking about it all day and finding out that is cost over $300 a month and in big bold letters on the drug web site the first side effect I saw was SUDDEN DEATH I decided, maybe being dairy free was a better place to start. I'm not into SUDDEN DEATH. So I dove in head first to the dairy free way. It is not as bad as I thought it would be. It is more work at the store and slightly more expensive, but if it helps my sweet little man, then it is well worth it!!!
First I went to hyvee. I got a few bags of PLAIN chips, nothing with any kind of flavoring you know! Soy chocolate milk, soy yogurt, dairy free bread, apple sauce, fruit chews, and oatmeal bars. Just the basics for packing a lunch and having breakfast in the morning. Then this morning I hit the health food store for some more stuff. There is not much to choose from and unfortunately we have a very small store here, but I was able to find him some cheese, rice crispy bars, butter, and ice cream sandwiches. I also picked up a DHA supplement that is supposed to be good for helping kids stay focused. I went to walmart this evening to do our normal grocery shopping and was able to find a few more things for him. All in all I really feel like he is going to be fine. He is eating almost all the same things he normally loves just in a different variety.

Here is what a dairy free lunch looks like. Peanut butter and Jelly on a dairy free bun (Jack loves anything on a bun) but of course the little jerks at school made fun of the bun, but I told Jack to tell them to zip it he loves buns!!!!!!!!!! original pringles, apple sauce, a fruit roll up and a juice.
See that seems super normal right???
1 comment:
You're such a good mama! I know it's far from your house but you should check out Trader Joes....they might have a good selection of dairy free stuff. And I know HyVee has a whole organic section that might have some stuff too.
Post a Comment